• Welcome to Jailbreak Central!
  • Do not forget to Subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest news!
  • You can contact GeoSn0w on Twitter: @FCE365
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduce yourself :)
Welcome to the community Smile

Hey there!

Quote:What brought you into jailbreaking?

I was a hardcore Apple fanboy nearly since birth. Its waned and waxed over the years, mostly waxed, but that's another story.

My first Apple was an Apple II; my first Mac, a Macintosh SE. My Dad brought me these home from work, starting when I was three.

I bought "the iPhone" the day it came out. It was amazing. But I was aghast at the fact that it was "locked down", and I didn't have root access. So I jumped on the JB wagon pretty early. While I'm not quite sure the "first" tool I used, the earliest jailbreak I really remember was the original jailbreak.me. Mostly because I used to have fun going around the Apple Store store jailbreaking the display devices.

I could go on, but basically: I currently have six or seven functional jailbroken [i|tv]OS devices I hack on presently. I've kept a pretty low profile for the most part until now; but I'm looking to maybe change that, be more visible. I've been diving deeper over the last few years. I have a lot of unpublished half-finished code, but or now, you can find a few bits and pieces of me and my work places like GitHub, AskDifferent, etc.

Question: my principle focus right now is macOS security. Is this forum an appropriate place for that as well? If so, which subform should I use for discussing (for example) hspGuard etc?

In any case, I'm so glad I found this forum! Thank you for creating it, I'm excited to use it! (I've got a bunch of other questions about using this forum but I'll save them for another time.)

Cheers!

P.S.
As it happens, I stumbled here from one of your posts on Jonathan Levine's forum! Smile)

And, although it goes without saying, I'm a big fan of your work. Myself, I don't see what's so wrong about dropping $100/year to be able to get decent access for these expensive device(s) that cost so much more than that. Why does it seem like everyone look downs on "developer-only" methods?

P.P.S.
Also, I often use a handle that starts "Geo" too, as my name is Geoff. So I signed up here the handle "gsn", my initials. But I'm thinking, maybe I should start using a more `31337` handle? You know, to be taken more seriously in "the community"? Whatcha think, Ge0xFF?
Wink

Star 
(08-13-2019, 01:21 PM)gsn Wrote:
Hey there!

Quote:What brought you into jailbreaking?

I was a hardcore Apple fanboy nearly since birth. Its waned and waxed over the years, mostly waxed, but that's another story.

My first Apple was an Apple II; my first Mac, a Macintosh SE. My Dad brought me these home from work, starting when I was three.

I bought "the iPhone" the day it came out. It was amazing. But I was aghast at the fact that it was "locked down", and I didn't have root access. So I jumped on the JB wagon pretty early. While I'm not quite sure the "first" tool I used, the earliest jailbreak I really remember was the original jailbreak.me. Mostly because I used to have fun going around the Apple Store store jailbreaking the display devices.

I could go on, but basically: I currently have six or seven functional jailbroken [i|tv]OS devices I hack on presently. I've kept a pretty low profile for the most part until now; but I'm looking to maybe change that, be more visible. I've been diving deeper over the last few years. I have a lot of unpublished half-finished code, but or now, you can find a few bits and pieces of me and my work places like GitHub, AskDifferent, etc.

Question: my principle focus right now is macOS security. Is this forum an appropriate place for that as well? If so, which subform should I use for discussing (for example) hspGuard etc?

In any case, I'm so glad I found this forum! Thank you for creating it, I'm excited to use it! (I've got a bunch of other questions about using this forum but I'll save them for another time.)

Cheers!

P.S.
As it happens, I stumbled here from one of your posts on Jonathan Levine's forum! Smile)

And, although it goes without saying, I'm a big fan of your work. Myself, I don't see what's so wrong about dropping $100/year to be able to get decent access for these expensive device(s) that cost so much more than that. Why does it seem like everyone look downs on "developer-only" methods?

P.P.S.
Also, I often use a handle that starts "Geo" too, as my name is Geoff. So I signed up here the handle "gsn", my initials. But I'm thinking, maybe I should start using a more `31337` handle? You know, to be taken more seriously in "the community"? Whatcha think, Ge0xFF?
Wink

Haha, Hi Geoff. 
Had a good time reading your post. Bit of a throwback for me to the days I got my first Mac and was amazed by what it can do and how different the ecosystem was, coming from Windows. Grew up to like both of them, but remained a macOS addict.

Jailbreaking my devices became second nature as well due to the locked-down paradigm Apple uses, but thankfully, we as a community can move mountains. 

Jonathan Levin's books (and the forum) are amazing! I owe most of what I know about iOS and MacOS to the two ridiculously detailed books he's put so much work into. It's thanks to the knowledge I've acquired from him that I was able to make my own Jailbreak for iOS 11.x and iOS 12.x, the Osiris Jailbreak.

I hope you'll enjoy the forum, and hopefully it will grow slowly but surely into a nice community for the *OS enthusiasts. As for the security (both macOS and iOS / *OS), you're welcome to post in the Jailbreak Development, or the newly created macOS Security / Internals subforum Smile (Thanks for the idea).

George Smile

Hi i'm Jim. Thanks for allowing me to be apart of such a great forum